Sunday 10 February 2013

Les Miserables (2013)


A film adaptation of the long running musical Les Miserables tells the story of Jean Valjean, a man who tries to survive in 19th Century France.  After breaking parole he is hunted by police inspector Javert for decades.  However, Jean Valjean's life if forever changed when he vows to care for a young girl, Cosette.  An epic musical with amazing visual effects, brilliant performances and a familiar tale that is reborn by director Tom Hooper.




 

Director: Tom Hooper
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen.
Running Time: 158 Minutes

The story of Les Miserables has been around for years from the famous novel to the West End musical and in the world of movies.  This is not the first time that a movie has been made of the story as it was previously filmed in 1998 but this was not a musical version and just a straight drama.  Here we have the filmed musical version in the hands of Tom Hooper who has taken a familiar narrative, musical numbers and characters and made it his own.  One of the most interesting things Hooper chose to do was film the singing live rather than the usual way in a studio with the actors lip syncing to a track whilst filming.  This was a brilliant choice as it allows the actors to feel what they are singing and really brings the emotion out in the scenes.  I have always been perplexed when I have been in the cinema and audience members applaud as it is not like the directors or actors are anxiously waiting behind the screen in anticipation of their response.  However, when you are at a live musical it is customary to applaud after each musical number and it becomes a conditioned response, the well of the music leading to the desire to applaud.  This was the reaction I had after several numbers in Les Miserables, thankfully I did not embarrass myself and actually clap but I did have that feeling where I should, as I was completely engrossed in the emotion of their performance.  Hooper, who won the Best Director Oscar in 2011 for the King's Speech, again delivers a worthy contender for the Best Director Oscar this year.  My only criticism of the film would be the choice to sing almost everything as there are probably only around ten actual spoken words in the entire film.  Choosing to have most of the dialogue sung makes it more operatic than musical which I think detracts from the big musical numbers.  That said this is a very minor criticism and overall I was very impressed with Hooper's direction as the film is visually stunning with phenomenal performances from the cast. 

Hugh Jackman is fantastic in this film as Jean Valjean, the man imprisoned for twenty years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family.  Having then escaped from his parole he makes a life for himself as a small town Mayor until he meets Fantine (Anne Hathaway) to whom he makes a vow to care for her child Cosette.  This task proves all the more difficult when she falls for a young man involved in the student uprising used as the backdrop of the third act.  Jackman plays his part with such poise and precision that he makes you believe every word he sings and does whatever he can to ensure his daughter's happiness. 

Russell Crowe gives a similar harrowing performance as Javert, the police officer on the hunt for Jean Valjean.  I have never really liked Russell Crowe and generally avoid his films like the plague but here even I cannot deny how good he is.  In his climatic scene on the bridge he has such emotion and believability that you truly feel his inner turmoil.

The real star of the film for me though was Anne Hathaway.  Hathaway really impressed me in her portrayal of Fantine as she gives it everything she has.  When she sings I Dreamed a Dream, a song that has been so overly done, she puts so much emotion into it and gives a breathtakingly raw performance.  Hathaway gives herself over to her performance and denies the audience nothing, if this performance does not win her the Oscar I don't know what will.  

Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter star as Thenardier and Madame Thenardier who took Cosette in before Jean Valjean came to get her.  They are corrupt and cruel, more concerned with their next score than anything else.  Before seeing the film a friend told me that Cohen steals every scene he is in, I do not agree, as I just found him annoying.  Similarly Helena Bonham Carters character equally annoyed me. I have never been a big fan of Cohen or Carter so I may be biased.  I was very impressed with Carter in The King's Speech in 2011 and I thought finally she does not annoy me in a role, as she was understated whereas she is normally over the top such as her performance here.  When their daughter dies they don't even seem to acknowledge the loss but are more concerned with going to a party.  I know they are the antagonists of the film and they are not expected to be liked but I just found them annoying.

Some of the smaller performances from Eddie Redmayne as Marius, Aaron Tveit as Enjolras, Samantha Barks as Eponine and Daniel Huttlestone as Gavroche were fantastic.  Redmayne was sweet in the romantic moments and strong in the dramatic pieces, Tveit apart from being gorgeous was equally as enigmatic in the set pieces.  Barks blew me away as Eponine and when she sang On My Own it was heartbreaking.  Huttlestone however, was phenomenal as Gavroche the adorable young boy who fights for what he believes in.  In Gavroche's final scene Huttlestone's performance breaks your heart and even though I knew the story and knew what was going to happen I was still captivated and on the edge of my seat.


Final Verdict

With breathtaking performances from a star studded cast which is headlined by Hathaway, Jackman and Crowe Les Miserables is a great film.  At times the constant singing of every line did get a bit much but as soon as the next breathtaking moment happened any sense of anguish was forgotten.  Hooper has delivered another film worthy of all the Award buzz.

8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment